ABOUT THE LEADERSHIP SUMMIT
The Leadership Summit is an annual invite-only event held at the beginning of every year. AREAA leaders from across the country meet, plan and get inspired to lead and grow their chapters. Join us this coming January in Scottsdale and receive valuable training in the following areas: business planning, professional development, AREAA policies and chapter bylaws, sponsorship and partnership resources, and membership retention.
Your chapter is provided complimentary registration(s) based on the number of your members as of November 1st, 2019.
0 – 99 members = 1 complimentary registration
100 – 199 members = 2 complimentary registrations
200 – 299 members = 3 complimentary registrations
300+ members = 4 complimentary registrations
Any additional registrants will cost $199/person and can be taken out of your Chapter’s disbursements.
The last day to cancel your registration was 1/10, but there is still room to add. Please email JYIP@AREAA.ORG if you want to register.
OMNI SCOTTSDALE RESORT & SPA AT MONTELUCIA
4949 E Lincoln Drive
Scottsdale, AZ 85253
Special Group Rate $259++
Available Dates: January 19 – 22, 2020
Must be booked by December 27, 2019
Sunday, January 19
2:30PM – 5:00PM
- 3 Point Plan
- Leadership Panel
- Keynote Speaker: Miss Jamie Zapata, Coldwell Banker
5:30PM – 7:00PM
Monday, January 20
7:30AM – 8:30AM
8:15AM – 11:30AM
Mini MBA in partnership with Austin University
*Full participation is required to earn your Mini MBA certificate.
- Dr. Ashraf Al Moustafa – President
- Prof. Lawrence Rubly – COO
- Prof. Thomas McNichol – Business English
- Prof. Eve Ruhlman – Marketing
- Prof. Rose Charmaine – Entrepreneurship
- Prof. Creg Kravitt – Finance based decisions ” Business Plan”
11:30AM – 12:30PM
Group Photo Followed by Lunch
1:00PM – 2:00PM
Breakout Session #1
All about AREAA – These are the Facts
There are so many things that makes AREAA great. Join us in breaking down the history, mission, benefits and reasons why AREAA needs to be a household name.
- John Wong, Founding Chair & Chair Emeritus
- Ivan Choi, 2014 AREAA National President
- Vicky Silvano, 2016 AREAA National President
Breakout Session #2
Sometimes finding new sponsors are necessary and in these changing times, we have to get creative. Get inspired by these chapter leader’s stories of how they found alternative sponsorship.
- Ritu Rani, Commercial Committee Vice-Chair
- Gregg Christensen, NY Manhattan President
- Amy Duong Kim, Greater Chicago President
- Lyman Chao, Member Services Committee Vice-Chair & SF Peninusla President
Breakout Session #4
Break out into your board positions and play out scenarios. This session will foster new relationships and help you develop creative ways to approach challenging situations.
- Adam Barreto, SW Regional Rep
- Christine Chau, MW Regional Rep
- Helen Nguyen, SE Regional Rep
- Raj Rajpal, NE Regional Rep
- Garrick Yan, NW Regional Rep
- Narhee Nguyen CDC Committee
- Jasmin Nguyen CDC Committee
Breakout Session #4
Chapter Management 101 – How to Utilize National
Intended for newer chapters, this session will uncover everything you need to know on chapter management.
- Desiree Estorga, Inland Empire President
- Ken Avelino, AREAA National
- David Van Ness, AREAA National
- Hope Atuel, National Executive Director
2:15PM – 3:15PM
Breakout Session #5
How To Be A More Impactful Leader
Whether you are an experienced leader or a new one, this session will help you think about the impact you are having on your chapter and inspire ways to grow your approach to leadership.
- Tim Hur, 2022 AREAA National President
- Carmen Mercado, Freddie Mac
- Jim Park, AREAA Chairman Emeritus
Breakout Session #6
Get your pitch on point. Learn, memorize and perfect the key talking points of AREAA so you can attract new members.
- Bryan Ahn, National Board Member
- Kim Liew, Solano County President
- Elena Lau, CDC Committee Vice-Chair, Boston President
Breakout Session #7
Wow Your Sponsors
Win over the hearts and minds of new sponsors, while wowing and maintaining your ongoing partnerships.
- Donnie Pingaro, National Board Member
- Dionne Cuello, Citi
- MJ Watkins, Radian
- Jeff Needham, HSBC
Breakout Session #8
Video Series Part One: Getting Started
Join a former CBS News Reporter for a LIVE demonstration and walk through the entire video production process so you’ll be ready to produce your next video with confidence. You will be asked to record a video during the break using AREAA membership talking points.
3:15PM – 3:45PM
3:45PM – 4:45PM
Breakout Session #9
Effecting Change in Your Communities
With a presidential election and the US Census, 2020 will be an important year for AAPIs. Use this session to create a game plan for how your chapter can make a difference and get your membership involved, as well as getting your board involved in local politics.
- Mony Nop, Policy Committee Vice-Chair
- Jenny H. Aramony, US Census
- Dawn Lin, National Board Member
- Anthony Hutchinson, Freddie Mac
Breakout Session #10
Finding your Successor
A job of a great leader is to find and train a successor. Where are you in the process? This breakout will provide insights on what it takes.
- Tom Truong, 2019 AREAA National President
- Trang Dang-Le, Dallas/ Fort Worth President
- Justin Wong, Greater East Bay President
- Samantha Tov, Greater Sacramento Past President
Breakout Session #11
A Well Planned Event
Budget, Contracts, Sponsorship, Selling Enough Tickets. Find out what makes an event a great experience for all involved, and keep them coming back.
- Tiffany Kawata, LA Coastal President
- Michelle Lin, Silicon Valley Past President
- Cheri Mosdell, San Diego Vice-President
- Jed Anantasomboon, Dallas/FW Past President
- Navin Pathangay, Commercial Committee Chair
Breakout Session #12
Video Series Part Two: Feedback
A continuation of Breakout #8. Get valuable feedback on your live video.
Presented By Meaghan Corson
5:00PM – 6:30PM
Team Building Activity–Leadership Olympics
Led by Chapter Development Committee & theEDGE Committee
6:30PM – 7:30PM
Tuesday, January 21
7:00AM – 10:00AM
10:15AM – 12:00PM
National Board Meeting